Tuesday, August 30, 2005

 
From: Lipman
Date: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:24 am
Subject: Hebrew encoding, greeting formula

Shlomo rabbo legavrayo ravrevayo loy"t,

I can read the Hebrew (after manually changing the code), but I'm not sure about posting. We'll see :-).

> ׳�׳™׳�׳™׳� ׳˜׳‘׳�׳�ײ°׳›ײ»׳�ײ¼ײ°׳›׳•ײ¹׳�,

You're writing this more or less TIC, I take it, but isn't this English inan Aramaic shell?

A friend of mine used to say "Tzafro tovo" when we met on our way to Shachris. I never asked him where he picked this up, I mean, why it should be allowed to greet in Aramaic before oring, but not in other languages.

The oldest occurence I found was in the beginning of a responsum (is this too posh? Is "a responsa" too colloquial?) of the Mases Binyomen. My impression is: a) it was used in writing only, and b) where it occurs in rabbinical literature in sentences like משנה ברורה סימן תקנד ס"ק מא מא) אין שאלת שלום וכו' - וה"ה לומר לו צפרא טבא נמי אסור. it doesn't mean "to say to him Tzafro tovo", but "to bid him a good morning".

BTW, are there Aramaic greeting formulas (-ae?) among Ashkenazim of thelast 1000 years except "asuse/esuse" after sneezing?

Omnia optimi,

Lipman [... ...] [ 8~)»

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?