Tuesday, August 30, 2005

 
From: Lipman
Date: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:30 am
Subject: Re: [diqduqgeeks] Hebrew encoding, greeting formula

> You're writing in "Unicode" Aramaic, whereas Steg and I have been
> writing in "Hebrew (Windows)" Hebrew/Aramaic. I don't think that this
> can be controlled.

I'll try. Anyway, when I signed up, I set the format to HTML. At least that was probably the right thing to do.

> Of course, your quote from my post came out as gibberish, but you can't
> have everything....

I changed from "Automatic" to "Hebrew (Windows)" in order to read your message, and let it like that when I answered. Then I copied and pasted the Mishne brure quote from the BI CD as it was. I checked my "out" folder and it was gibberish, until I changed back to "Automatic". I'm using Opera for mails and browsing, aggev orche.

> No. "Tsafro Tovo" is an expression that I have heard in many settings in
> both NY and Israel (or Palestine). It's usually considered a bit quaint,
> but it's not too uncommon.

Cheers, I didn't know. I think "quaint" is a good expression, but in apositive sense.

> By the way, what's TIC?

Sorry: tongue-in-cheek.

> As I understood it, it's not allowed. (Although I vaguely remember
> hearing somewhere that there's a shitta that everything other than the
> actual word "sh�l�m" is permitted, and that this might be the pashTus
> of the sughyo. What's permitted is saying "tsafro dhe-marrei Tav" (or
> is that T�v?).

Exactly, but dawqa in Aramaic? I think not.

> I don't know what the n�feq� minnah is, exactly...

Sholoum is regarded as a name of God?

>> The oldest occurence I found was in the beginning of a
>> responsum (is this too posh? Is "a responsa" too colloquial?) of the Mases
>>Binyomen. My impression is:
>>a) it was used in writing only,
>>and b) where it occurs in rabbinical literature in sentences like משנהברורה>> סימן תקנד ס"ק מ�> מ�) �ין ש�לת שלו�וכו' - וה"ה לומר לוצפר�> טב� נמי �סור.>
>> it doesn't mean "to say to him Tzafro tovo", but "to bid him a good morning".
>
> Are you sure?

No, merely suspicious.

> (Why not "response" and "responses"?)

Probably because "response" has a broader meaning, and "responsum" is a specific term.

> (Is asuse actually heard in living Yiddish? I'm not sure I've ever
> actually heard it, though it sounds a lot like the sneeze itself....)

Yeah, that's so nice about it. I'm not sure if it's constrained to WY.

Best,

Lipman

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?