Monday, August 29, 2005

 
From: Mar Gavriel
Date: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:53 pm
Subject: BGDKP"T

Sometime early this morning (or late last night), Lipman wrote:

>Mar Gavriel, the rules you give are for Biblical Hebrew. Exclusively.
>
>>Perhaps it is comical that I follow technical rules of
>>Hebrew grammar when I am using Hebrew words in English
>>sentences. That's just how I talk.
>
>Tath is bery chomichal indeedh. I'dh likhe tho hear you onece.

Alas, you are wrong, my dear Lipman. As Sa`adya Gha'on points out in his commentary on Sepher Yetsira (as translated by Ze'ev Ben Hayyim, as quoted in H. Yalon's מבוא לניקוד המשנה, p. 121:


מנהג לשון אבותינו הוא... ואין זה נוהג במקרא בלבד, אלא בכל הדיבור והשיחה, אף בקרב הנשים, כמו שמספרים, כי אישה אחת הלכה אל המורה ואמרה לו יא ספרא אפני בֿרי, ולא אמרה בְּרִי דגוש, ואחת מהן קראה לבנה גּד גּד דגוש ולא נענה, ואז קראה יא גֿד רפי, מפני שהוסיפה יא.

Mar Gavriel

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?