Tuesday, August 30, 2005

 

You're writing in "Unicode" Aramaic, whereas Steg and I have been writing in "Hebrew (Windows)" Hebrew/Aramaic. I don't think that this can be controlled. Of course, your quote from my post came out as gibberish, but you can't have everything....

Lipman wrote:

>Shlomo rabbo legavrayo ravrevayo loy"t,
>
>I can read the Hebrew (after manually changing the code), but >I'm not sure
>about posting. We'll see :-).
>> ׳³ן¿½׳³ג„¢׳³ן¿½׳³ג„¢׳³ן¿½ ׳³ֻœ׳³ג€˜׳³ן¿½ ׳³ן¿½׳²ֲ°׳³ג€÷׳²ֲ»׳³ן¿½׳²ֲ¼׳²ֲ°׳³ג€÷׳³ג€¢׳²ֲ¹׳³ן¿½,
>
>You're writing this more or less TIC, I take it, but isn't
>this English in an Aramaic shell?

No. "Tsafro Tovo" is an expression that I have heard in many settings in both NY and Israel (or Palestine). It's usually considered a bit quaint, but it's not too uncommon. By the way, what's TIC?

>A friend of mine used to say "Tzafro tovo" when we met on our way to
>Shachris. I never asked him where he picked this up, I mean, why it >should be allowed to greet in Aramaic before oring, but not in other >languages.

As I understood it, it's not allowed. (Although I vaguely remember hearing somewhere that there's a shitta that everything other than the actual word "shŏlōm" is permitted, and that this might be the pashTus of the sughyo. What's permitted is saying "tsafro dhe-marrei Tav" (or is that Tŏv?). I don't know what the nŏfeqŏ minnah is, exactly...


>The oldest occurence I found was in the beginning of a >responsum (is this
>too posh? Is "a responsa" too colloquial?) of the Mases
>Binyomen. My impression is: a) it was used in writing only,
>and b) where it occurs in rabbinical literature in sentences
>like ׳ž׳©׳ ׳” ׳‘׳¨׳•׳¨׳” ׳¡׳™׳ž׳Ÿ ׳×׳§׳ ׳“ ׳¡"׳§ ׳ž׳
׳ž׳) ׳׳™׳Ÿ ׳©׳׳œ׳× ׳©׳œ׳•׳ ׳•׳›׳•' - ׳•׳”"׳” ׳œ׳•׳ž׳¨ ׳œ׳• ׳¦׳₪׳¨׳ ׳˜׳‘׳ ׳ ׳ž׳™ ׳׳¡׳•׳¨.
>it doesn't mean "to say to him Tzafro tovo", but "to bid him >a good morning".


Are you sure? BTW, sing. is "responsum"; pl. "responsums" and "responsa" are both fine, though the first is considered more correct, and is more widespread. (Why not "response" and "responses"?)


>BTW, are there Aramaic greeting formulas (-ae?) among Ashkenazim of
>the last 1000 years except "asuse/esuse" after sneezing?

(Is asuse actually heard in living Yiddish? I'm not sure I've ever actually heard it, though it sounds a lot like the sneeze itself....)


>Omnia optimi,
>
>Lipman [... ...]
>
>[ 8~)»

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?